Thursday, February 26, 2009

An American Tale

We have a mouse in my apartment-- his name is Fivel. He is not a pet, he just lives with us. He is ridiculously cute but also a ridiculous pain.

I've never lived with a mouse before so you can imagine my reaction when I first met him. He ran into my room at 1:00 in the morning. At first I thought it was the dog. But Fivel is much smaller than our dog. Some high-pitched squeals sent him running right back out again.

I've had a few other funny encounters with him. Like the time I had to wake up at 5:30 in the morning and found him hanging out in the bathroom. Needless to say, I stood on top of the toilet while I brushed my teeth.

He is becoming more and more bold as time goes on. We are seeing more of him running across the floor, skittering into the next room, even escaping behind the oven after helping himself to whatever food was on the counter. We are becoming good friends :)

So we bought a humane trap to catch him because he's just too cute to kill. The trap is really awesome-- it's a little mouse house. You are supposed to put a cracker with peanut butter in the one end of it, and the other end has a door that will trap him when he enters. Then when you release him, you pull plastic from the end with the cracker and he has to eat his way through the cracker to freedom. It gives him a full belly before you send him out into the wilderness.

But Fivel is too smart for this mouse trap. He has chewed on the edges of it and even eaten all the food we have placed around it. But he refuses to go into it! I was talking to the former executive chef of the Blair House (he's part of my extended family) and he told me that mice do not eat any white or processed flour because they know it is poisonous. But they will eat whole wheat or natural flours and foods. He also joked that they are smarter than us humans. But apparently mice like chocolate, fat and raw meat.

So I'm going to have to try chocolate next. I mean, if Fivel doesn't like chocolate I don't think I can be friends with him anymore. Who doesn't like chocolate? I'll blog later to conclude this classic American Tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment